Monday, October 10, 2011

Child Day

My freshmen Psychology class spends about three weeks studying early childhood development.  At the end of that unit, we invite children under the age of 5 into our classroom for the day.  The purpose of our Child Day is for my students to observe the behaviors and cognitive development stages they've been studying. As a teacher, it's great to watch my students see the real world application of what they're learning in the classroom.

One of my classroom moms took pictures and sent them to me.  Of course, I brought my girls too which was really fun and exhausting! 


 Elizabeth had so much fun that she didn't want to leave at the end of the day.  I had actually planned on taking them back to daycare before nap time, but I just couldn't drag her away.


So she stayed and played all day.  Then we left after 6th period so I could take them home.  We all three took a three hour nap!

 


 Caroline was loved on so much.  My girls, and even some of the boys, were naturals with her.  I think they actually saw more of the developmental stages in her.  They got really excited when they saw her doing the grasping reflex that we had learned about.  They also were able to identify that she was in the Freud's Oral Stage because she was sucking on her pacifier and her fingers.


 Elizabeth learned how to play Simon Says.  Of course, nobody was "out" when they did something Simon didn't say.  But my students were able to see some of their gross motor skills in action!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, that's so neat that you can bring them. I'm sure your students loved hanging out with them!

    ReplyDelete