Sunday, August 14, 2011

Back to School. Back to Reality.

Tomorrow is my first day back with students.  I always think of the teacher work week as a warm-up to the real first week back to school.  You think you're tired that week, but nothing wipes you out like the first full week of school with students.  It's right up there with the first week with a newborn.  It's like your body forgets the physical and mental demands of teaching 120 kids for eight hours straight.  If your lucky, you feel like a normal person again by Labor Day.  And because our school is still under construction, things are even more chaotic than usual.


But I'm excited!  I love the anticipation of meeting all my new students.  And this year, I will have some students as Seniors that I taught as Freshmen.  The first day of school makes me so excited that I have trouble sleeping the night before.  I love that I get to "start over" every year.  Start fresh.  Get a chance to do it even better this year.  Not many professionals get that opportunity.


But at the end of the day, the best part, is always picking up my two little angels.  Nothing compares to Elizabeth running across the room to hug me when I walk in.  Even Caroline lights up when she sees me.  Seeing their sweet faces re-energize me and gives me my second wind.

 Ready or not, here we come 2011-2012 school year!



1 comment:

  1. I so remember those days!!!! How tired you are and how bad your feet hurt. It takes at least a couple of weeks for your feet to get used to being stood on all day! Get some rest!

    Love the last pic of C!

    ReplyDelete