Thursday, February 16, 2012

Elizabeth is 3 years old!

Bert and I were playing with Elizabeth last night after Caroline went to bed, and we both became quite sentimental as we talked about her turning three-years-old today.  Everyone always talks about how quickly your kids grow up, and I've always known they were telling me the truth.  But it still didn't prepare me for experiencing it.  I realize that she's not leaving for college today, by my precious baby is now an amazing little girl, and I don't know how that happened!


Elizabeth, At three-years-old, you are definitely your own person with a strong will and vibrant personality.  You continue to be the most active little girl.  Hardly ever do you sit still.  You are so curious about everything.  You love school because you get to do two of your favorite things- learn new things and socialize with your friends.  I hope this is always true.


You say the funniest things all of the time.  For instance, when I do something for you that you are thankful for, you exclaim, "Yay Mommy!"  And if we're not responding quick enough to "mommy" or "daddy," you will call us by our first names.  I'm not even kidding.  You will shout, "JESSICA!" or "BERT!"  You noticed the shock in our faces the first time which has no doubt been the reason you've continued doing it.  And nothing we say ever gets by you.   We are becoming those parents who communicate through spelling!


You still take a paci (3 to be exact) to bed with you every night.  It's one of those things I swore I'd never do.  My child was never going to be allowed to keep her pacifier past the age of 12 months!  Ha!  Two years later, and I'm so anxious about weaning you from it. Which I know is ridiculous since you go all day without one, and never use it when napping at school. 


I have learned that I often underestimate what you are capable of and how you will respond to something.  Case in point, potty-training.  I analyzed and stressed over potty training you for months!  And it basically took you one solid weekend, and voila, no more diapers.  You had a couple of accidents early on, and from time to time dribble a little before getting to the toilet.  But we don't have to remind you or even help you go anymore (except #2).  And as of last night, you are wearing your big girl panties at night.  You've stayed dry in your pull-up for some time now, so when you refused to put them on last night we said okay.  And you were completely dry this morning.  Yea!  So now that I know that it's me (and not you) who gets nervous about these changes, I'm preparing myself to bite the bullet and take care of business regarding the pacis! 


You are also sleeping in a "big girl" bed now. You have always been such a good sleeper that I didn't want to risk distrubing that by converting your crib to a toddler bed.  But once again, I completely underestimated you and the transition was super smooth.  It's funny to me that you are so independent and always take so much initiative, but you will NOT get out of your bed on your own.  If you have to pee-pee, you call for one of us to come get you.  In the morning, you don't get out until we come get you.  I love it, but it does surprise me.  I guess it's like the fact that you never crawed out of your crib, even though you knew you could.  You really enjoy your bed time I guess.


The closer you've gotten to three, the more emotional you've gotten.  If this is any indication of your teenage years, we are in trouble!  Sometimes our house is Meltdown City! It's not just fits, which you can throw pretty good too.  Your feelings get hurt really easy.  You remind me of myself.  Your Papa use to always say that I "wore my heart on my sleeves."  Which is totally true for you too.  I see  your lip start to quiver and big tears start streaming down your face.  We have to be careful not to giggle or get frustrated about it because even if we think it's not worth getting upset about, it did upset you.  You have such a vulnerable, tender heart.  Many times I will just tell you to take a deep breath, and when you do, it calms you down. 


You still love Dora and Minnie Mouse, but you now have a love for all things princess.  Playing "Dress-Ups" in your princess outfits is one of your favorite things to do.

You are still a huge daddy's girl.  You insist that he be the one to read and rock you every night before bed.  If I come in, you tell me to "go check on Caroline."  And boy do you love your Caroline.  Watching you two together has been the highlight of my life.  I never knew I could feel so much joy in my heart from simply watching my babies love on each other.  I love you, Elizabeth Joy (and so does Daddy and Caroline).


Here are some of your stats:
* You weigh around 32 pounds.
* You are around 39 inches tall.  You've been over 3 feet since your second birthday.  You have seemed to slow down in weight, height, and shoe size though.
* You wear size 4T clothes.  Sometimes the 4Ts are big, but you definitely need the length.
* You wear size 10 shoe.  You've actually been wearing a 10 for quite some time.
1 year old

2 years old
3 years old

4 comments:

  1. Love that you are having to Spell! HA! We cannot wait to celebrate E this weekend!!! I love that are babies get to spend these special moments together.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth's birthday always makes me sad because I know that Meyers is right around the corner:) I loved seeing her pictures are 1, 2, and 3. It made me cry a little! Maybe it's the hormones!! Wish we could be there this weekend! Can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meyers wants me to keep playing the video over and over! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading all about her and that video was adorable! I just can't believe she's 3! Miss you guys bunches!

    ReplyDelete