Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snowpocalypse

Everyone knows that Atlanta doesn't see too much snow and ice.  In fact, the last snow day we had was 4 years ago.  The excitement over the possibility of snow made everyone giddy!  We had no idea what was in store!

It started coming down on Tuesday around 10:00am.  They immediately announced that school would be dismissed 2 hours early.  It started getting bad very quickly, and our principal began dismissing students at 12:30.  By 1:00 our parking lot and road leaving the school was a sheet of ice.  It took me one hour just to get out of parking lot.  I saw 1 car flip over and many more sliding sideways into the ditches within minutes of turning out of the parking lot.  My one goal was to get to my girls and get them home safely.

It's only  3 miles from my school to the girls, but it took me 2.5 hours to get there.  I was a little anxious to say the least. Thankfully, it was a little easier to get home from their school.  Little did I know at the time that our ride would be considered a breeze compared to others.  It took Bert 9 hours to take his 20 mile commute from Buckhead.  The fact that he made it was a miracle.  Many people spent the night on the interstate.  One of our coaches at school ended up having to deliver his own baby girl on the interstate because his wife went into labor and there was no possible way to get to the hospital in time!  I can't even imagine!  And some children did not get home from school until 3:30 on Wednesday...more than 24 hours after they were dismissed!  It was quite a nightmare for anyone stuck in it.


I felt bad that those of us safe at home were actually enjoying the same weather that was causing nightmares for others.  The kids had snow ball fights, made snow angels, and went sledding.  All the neighbors that were home, were out playing.  It was just as much fun for the adults as it was for the kids.  We ended up coming in to get warm in our house.  The kids all watched a movie in the basement and the parents sat around the fire waiting for Bert to get home.  They were here when he got home at midnight!  It ended up being quite the celebration!

Bentley and Elizabeth made snow angels until it got dark.

Reese spent the night with Elizabeth and as soon as they woke up they were ready to play!  Caroline isn't in most of these pictures because at first she had very little interest in the cold snow.  She was content to stay inside and be warm.  When I finally got her to go outside (mainly because there was no one to stay inside with her), she loved it!  I knew she would and wish I would've pushed her sooner.  But after about 15 minutes, she just wanted me to hold her.








I could not convince Caroline to sled down the hill.


We are out of school again tomorrow, but I think most of the snow will have melted by then.  Now I'm ready for spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment