Friday, April 13, 2012

My First Surprise Party and Elizabeth's First High School Dance

At the beginning of 4th period today, one of my students came in saying that Mrs. Johns (our chorus teacher) needed to see me for 2 minutes ASAP.  So I told my seniors to get started, and that I would be right back.  When I walked into the chorus room, Mrs. Johns started playing the piano and the kids started singing a snazzy version of "Happy Birthday."  I felt like I was on Glee because they sounded so good and were swaying and everything.  I promptly started crying!  But the real surprise was waiting for me in my own classroom.  As I walked back in, I realized my lights had all been turned off.  My students were all hiding under the tables and my desk.  They jumped out wearing party hats, shouting "Happy Birthday!", and blowing party horns.  The room was all decorated and they brought in a huge cookie cake.  Apparently, they had been planning this since January when I told them that I had never had a surprise party before.  I don't even remember telling them that, but they decided then to do it. I just love these kids.

Tonight, our school hosted the county's Special Ed Spring Fling Dance.  The SGA is in charge of getting the DJ and decorating the cafeteria.  It is one of mine and my students' favorite events of the year.  I never have trouble recruiting volunteers.  Our students make this a night the special needs kids will never forget.  This year, I brought Elizabeth with me and she had a blast!  She learned the Electric Slide, YMCA, and of course, how to fist pump!  She was right in the middle of all the action the entire time.  I had to practically drag her off the dance floor!  I took some video too that I will definitely be showing her one day before her first real high school dance.

E with Annie and Bethany during set-up

1 comment:

  1. HOW FUN!!! I didn't realize you'd never had a surprise party...! You'll have to post the videos of E dancing!!!!

    ReplyDelete